Total Aire Care – We Care About Your Air
Air Conditioner Sales & Service – Furnace Sales & Service – Air Duct Cleaning
Total Aire Care
Air Conditioner Services & 14 tips to help cool your Home
KW residents are all too familiar with the sultry summer heat. This year has been no exception, with temperatures reaching well above 30 degrees Celsius on multiple occasions. The humidex has often climbed into the 40s, making it feel even hotter than it actually is. Needless to say, it can be quite uncomfortable to be outside for extended periods of time.
Fortunately, there are a few things that can be done to help a person stay cool during a heat wave.
First and foremost, it’s important to stay hydrated by drinking plenty of fluids. Water is always the best choice, but fruit juice and even sports drinks can also help to keep you hydrated. It’s also a good idea to avoid caffeine and alcohol, as they can contribute to dehydration.
Secondly, it’s important to find ways to stay cool. This can be difficult during a heat wave, but there are a few things that can help. Air conditioning is always the best bet, but if you don’t have access to AC, fans can also be helpful. It’s also a good idea to dress in light, loose-fitting clothing made from breathable fabrics.
Here are some tips to keep your home cool this summer season.
- Block The Heat With Your Curtains: The sun’s rays can heat up your home significantly, so make sure to close your curtains during the daytime. If you have blinds, close them as well.
- Use a Fan: Fans don’t actually lower the temperature in a room, but they do circulate the air and make you feel cooler.
- Rotate your ceiling fan Counter-Clockwise : This will push cooler air up towards the ceiling and make the room feel cooler overall.
- Invest in an Air Conditioner: An air conditioner is a great way to keep your home cool, but it can be expensive to run. If you decide to use one, make sure to get an energy-efficient model.
- Turn Off Unnecessary Lights: Lights generate heat, so turning them off will help to keep your home cooler.
- Cook Outside: During a heat wave, the last thing you want to do is turn on your oven and make your kitchen even hotter. If possible, cook your meals outside on the grill.
- Avoid Using Your Dishwasher: The dishwasher generates a lot of heat, so avoid using it during a heat wave. If you must use it, make sure to run it at night when it’s cooler.
- Choose Cotton Sheets for your bed : Cotton is a light and breathable fabric, so it will help to keep you cool at night.
- Freeze Your Bed Sheets: Before going to bed, put your sheets in the freezer for a few minutes. This will help to cool you down when you get in bed.
- Take Cool Showers or Baths : This will help to lower your body temperature and make you feel more comfortable.
- Use a Humidifier : A humidifier can actually help to cool you down by making the air in your home more humid.
- Make Ice Cubes: Fill up an ice tray and keep it in the freezer. You can then use the ice cubes to cool down your drinks or take them with you when you go outside.
- Visit a Local Pool: Swimming is a great way to stay cool, and it’s also a lot of fun. If you have access to a pool, make sure to take advantage of it during a heat wave.
- Create A Cross Breeze in your home : If you have multiple fans, set them up so that they create a cross breeze. This will circulate the air in your home and make it feel cooler.
These are just a few of the many ways you can stay cool during a heat wave. By following these tips, you can make the most of summer while still staying comfortable.
Of course if you own your home a wise investment is always adding Central Air. Not only does it improve the quality of life in your home, it can also help raise the market value of your home.